Sunday, December 26, 2010

Tribute to a Friend and Fellow Traveler

Hey everyone, hope you had a good Christmas. No post this week but did want to say something about the passing of an old and dear friend, Jerry Leppo. He passed away unexpectedly on the night of Dec. 24th. He was a Hanover Borough Council member and brought some much need youth to the city’s governance (along with our new mayor). He truly cared about the future of Hanover and was actively doing something about it. He also went out of his way to help myself with a problem within the borough.
    I met Jerry back in the early 90’s. He was part of a group of people who were Heads living in this sleepy little town close to the Mason Dixon line. Not too many cool people, but the ones who were here started the seeds of the community that flourishes here in our neck of the woods today. The only music scene was Sunday evenings at the old Mark Stevens (which became Lupita’s and the Wasabi Steakhouse) Well before Kclinger’s existed or the Winner’s Circle evolved, these people made their own scene. 
    I had lost touch with him in the mid 90’s. But when I did run into him again at the Chili Cookoff in the early Aughts, it was like we’d seen each other just last week. Big early supporter of Obama and always went out of his way to help me. Ran into him and a bunch of other old Hanover Heads ( Disclaimer: Was going to call them older Heads but they’re all my age) at the Furthur shows at the Mann Music Center this past summer. Great show and a great time. Last time I saw him was at the 2010 Chili Cookoff. He was an old soul who left us much too soon. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Long may you run my friend

No comments:

Post a Comment