Sunday, March 27, 2011

Furthur March 18 & 19, 2011 at the Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, PA

     Ahh spring, who doesn’t love it? Leaving the weariness of winter behind for the sunshine and renewal with Mother Nature turning everything on again and making green the most vibrant color in the ecosystem. When I was a slightly younger lad, spring meant one thing for me, Spring Tour. While a lot of Dead shows I saw on Spring Tour were technically in the tail end of winter, it was Spring Tour. Only time did old man winter even came close to screwing up my plans was the Ides of March Blizzard in 1993. (Sorry gonna have to wait until 2013 to hear about that one.) While Phish hasn’t done a proper spring tour since 1994 and WSP is too hit or miss for the Mid Atlantic region, you could set your sundial by the fact that the Dead would always be doing a spring tour.  But now that Furthur is back and firing on all cylinders, what better time to see what the boys are up to than to catch 2 of the 5 nights Furthur is playing at the Tower Theatre in Upper Darby, PA on March 18 and 19.
      March 18th and myself go way back. Saw the Dead at the Cap Centre on 3/18/91 and again at the Spectrum on 3/18/95. They took the 19th off in 1991 and I traded my tix for the 19th in ’95 for the 18th. I had a test on Monday or Tuesday of that week back up at PSU in a really weird 20th century minority American Lit class or something. First time I ever met anyone (my prof) that had multiple eyeglasses and would change what she wore during the week. I ended up missing the debut of Unbroken Chain on the 19th but the entire first set was less than 45 min (incredibly weak guys) and the setlist was much better on the 18th, so it all worked out.
     My friend Rachael (of the Phish NYE run and partner in crime with Caroline Peters, her faux fur coat) cruised up from VA on what might have been the most beautiful day of 2011. It was the last day of winter and the high was 75 degrees with lots of sunshine. We missed most of the awful traffic of the Schuykill Expressway by getting off at 476 south. But just like looking into the open maw of the Sarlacc pit in Return of the Jedi, we could see the clusterfuck that is Philly traffic as 3 interstates merged into a nonmoving mass of metal and cries of motherfucker, get outta my way.
     The Mothership (my new car, a 2005 Honda Accord that resembles a spaceship according to Rachael) got us to the Days Inn. It was a rather new hotel with Swiss Miss like arches that resembled a ski chalet more than anything. The desk lady was really cool. She said she was blown away by Heads’ dedication to our Thing and wished she could be that dedicated to something besides her daughter. She did mention she saw the Biscuits once, hope that’s not the only impression of our scene she’s had. This was also the first time I began to notice some weird influences, that being of the 3 Stooges. As most of you are aware, my nickname is Shemp, from the Stooge that replaced Curly when he passed away. I’m gonna guess from blunt force trauma to the skull after 20 years of performances. The man behind us in line checking in had a t shirt with Curly on it playing a thrash metal bass (why this description? Because Curly’s arms were covered in tats, and his stance and style of bass reminded me of the bass player from Anthrax) The guy looked like Ron Pearlman from Sons of Anarchy. (Side note: My friend Chris Hnat says that he wants to redo 3 Men and a Baby with Pearlman as the result of a gangbang involving Gary Busey, Bruce Willis, and Corky from Life Goes On. Nothing to do with my adventures but really funny. Hence the opening image.) You know it’s gonna get stranger, so let’s get on with the show.


     We eat at a really phat diner next to the hotel. I was telling Rachael about who else I knew going to the show. One of them was my friend who I shall refer to as Bud. He used to be a BIG player on the scene back in the early 90’s, but like all of us has mellowed with age. I talked about how he always went on his own schedule and once made his friends turn around almost half way to a Pittsburgh show because he forgot his tickets. I said how he wanted to catch a ride with us but I said no way cause I roll to my own schedule and didn’t want to be late or miss anything. So while we were eating, I get a phone call from Bud, saying he was already at the theatre. Rachael rightly pointed out that this guy I talked so much trash about actually beat me to the show. D’oh.
     So upon recommendation from the front desk lady, we took a cab to the theatre. Rachael asked the cabbie how his night was going. He replied he just got off a break and felt really relaxed and tired. Based on the way he sounded, I’m gonna guess he was either, stoned, drunk, or had just got laid. He somehow safely got us to the show. Our seats where dead center under the balcony three rows in front of the tapers section. Found out at setbreak my friend Butch was actually in the tapers’ section. While outside for a smoke break, ran into Bud. The venue had set up a tractor-trailer for the fenced in smoking section. Bud started scoping out the setup and was convinced that people could sneak under the trailer and get into the show for free. He then realized that might start a big rush, but I’m convinced he was trying to figure out a way to get into the show for free while selling the tixs he had for the next two nights. Always hustling that Bud is.
    Here’s the setlist
I: Feel Like a Stranger, El Paso, High Time, Beat It on Down the Line, Wang Dang Doodle > Big Bad Blues, Don't Ease, Cold Rain and Snow
II: Cryptical Envelopment, New Speedway Boogie, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, Rosemary > Morning Dew > Cryptical Envelopment > Eyes of the World > The Other One, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Playin in the Band
E: Brokedown Palace
Previous ''Wang Dang Doodle'' 2/13/2010 [79 shows]; Previous ''Beat It on Down the Line'' 2/14/2010 [78 shows]; Previous ''High Time'' 6/26/2010 [52 shows]; Previous ''Rosemary'' 5/30/2010 [57 shows]

First set was great. Never heard anyone in any configuration play High Time. Loved the Wang Dang Doodle ‘cause that’s the 90’s Dead I saw. Cold Rain was a nice upbeat way to end the show. During set break, a guy at the end of the row puked right between his legs. He proceeded to sit there until his buddy came and then he moved over so said buddy could dance in it. Stay classy Philadelphia.
     The second set raging. Cyrptical and then New Speedway? Could have been 1970. The Hard Rain was a lot slower than Dylan’s very danceable version from the Rolling Thunder Tour in 1975. Rosemary was like a giant Quaalude slipped to an unsuspecting crowd. I’ll admit, when they went into Morning Dew, I wasn’t too geeked. Boy was I wrong. (yes sometimes it happens). This Dew built and built with Phil all over it, just laying waste to what was left on Upper Darby (or Upper Dump as the locals call it). Then back into Cryptical, which flowed into an amazing Eyes. Might have been the best one I’ve ever seen, and I once saw one with something like 6 guitarists on stage.
     Then the boys got serious. The Other One charged and built up a good head of steam. This lead into my all time fav twofer China Cat>Rider. Any 2 songs better sum up the magic that is the Grateful Dead? China Cat displays Hunter’s genus with words with a tip of the hat to Dylan’s speed infused word play poetry without ever aping it. And then I Know You Rider. I will have a separate entry at some point on the total awesomeness of this song. Need proof of the Dead’s amazing power to transform space and time? Then look no further than this song. A dark tale of revenge spun into an uplifting centerpiece of any show. I’m thinking that’s it for the show but instead they pull out Playin’. Wow, a full version complete with heavy wahwah guitar and Other One teases from John K. From the Morning Dew on, it could have been 1973. Brokendown Palace was a nice hug for us as we headed out into the night.
    So after an awesome show like that, you just want to get back to the hotel and reflect on the show you just saw right? No heavy thinking or awkward situations right? Just find a cab and head back. We got one rather quickly compared to Sat night. The driver looked like Sayid from Lost. Rachael asks him how his night is going and responds well. Tells us he just became a citizen and we’re both like congrats. I give him my thoughts on how immigration is what makes America great yada yada yada. (Yes I am qualified to speak on this. I have a BA in American Studies). He’s from Pakistan and has worked all over the world and decided to settle in America. He then asks me something I never thought I would hear in a cab.


Do you know Hitler?
What the fuck? I’m in a cab with an Islamic Nazi? I’m wondering where this line of thought is going. He proceeds to tell us of a cricket match that was played between America and Germany sometime during the 1930’s because I can’t imagine it would have been during WWII. The match went on for 5 days (not that atypical, I think on average they can go 2 to 3 days). Hitler decided to declare the match a draw and proceeded to kill everyone in the stadium. This is why he declares; there is no cricket in Germany or the USA. No, the reason there isn’t any cricket in the US is because we have baseball and it was not exported here when we were England’s colony.
     He then asked me “What is the deal with the blacks?” I told him the theories of one David Simon, creator of the Wire. His thesis is that the school systems have failed the inner cities. The only industry available for jobs is the drug trade. Unentractable poverty. The cabbie didn’t want to hear any of it. Finally get back to the hotel, chill out and crash to have the energy for round two.
     Ate another phatty meal at the Springfield Diner and headed down to South St. to check out the sights and neighborhood. First store we see, the Condom Kingdom. Rather large store for such a tiny product. Lots of bars and a place called Sexploration right next to the Philadelphia Record Exchange. Could spend all day there. While walking around, Ran into Bud again. Passed some douchebag on the street dressed as an extra from the Jersey Shore. Wanted to stop him and take his picture like he was a beast in a cage in an old Dutch zoo. Stopped randomly at a place with an outdoor patio that billed itself as the birthplace of Larry Fine, Larry from the 3 Stooges. How crazy is that? Again perfect weather.
     After a little stress of traffic and my GPS repeating over and over “Traffic Congestion ahead”, we make it to the Homewood Suites. Team Switzer/Talbert were coming down for Jamie-Lee’s birthday so I got hooked up with a phat suite. Passed the Beaumont St. Water Treatment plant on the way there. First thought, boy it would be easy to dose that.
We get to the hotel and the front desk guy is having a bizarre argument/discussion with some a-hole on the phone for a good 5 minutes. The suite is amazing. Lots of room. Corner room with a clear view all the way to Delaware, all overlooking the poop tanks of the water treatment plant. Great decedent 70’s vibe with Derek and the Domino’s raging on the Ipod dock. Two separate parties in each room, felt like I was on a good Stone’s Tour.  The room color scheme was out of Miami Vice, all pastels and shit. Greg, Josh’s brother, does an outstanding job of playing a clueless tourist in order to make sure we’re not getting ripped off and we get our cabs and go to the show.

I: The Music Never Stopped > Brown-Eyed Women > He's Gone > Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, Althea, Looks Like Rain, Big Railroad Blues, Not Fade Away
II: Jack Straw > Dark Star > We Love You > Dark Star > Help on the Way > Slipknot! > The Eleven > The Wheel > Black Peter > GDTRFB > And We Bid You Goodnight
E: One More Saturday Night

 Music to open? Hell yes! Love Tom Thumb Blues. Althea for Rachael’s dog. A NFA to end the set that confused the shit out of Switzer. Did I miss the set break? Lots of people trying to gatecrash in really unimaginative ways. Moved up to the balcony for the second set. The secret of Furthur? The drummer, Joe Russo. That guy is so kicking Bobby and Phil’s asses. I’ve seen the Grateful Dead do 4 Dark Stars and they were all boring, slothlike songs. Russo infuses these Dark Stars with energy and Phil responds. He was thrashing around with his bass like a madman. The We Love You was nice and dark. Help, Slipknot, The Eleven, yes please! Bid You Goodnight closer was fantastic while the encore was predictable. Wait forever to get cabs (I almost flag down a cop car thinking it was a cab, D’oh) The cabbie we got didn’t speak any English. The passenger side door would not open so the driver had to get out and open it for Josh every time. He also coughed the whole ride so I think he had TB. Back to the hotel to crash after an amazing night.
     Get up somewhat early because Rachael had a 5-hour drive after we get back to Hanover. Go to the best free breakfast at a hotel I have ever had. Waffle making station, bacon, potatoes, and all the orange juice you could drink. That shits more valuable than gasoline. It was also a great American melting pot. Jews eating with Muslims. Wrestlers with hippies (I bet we stank). Black, white and indians, all celebrating in Philly over our mutual love of danish.
    Happy birthday to Jamie-Lee, you had a hell of a show on Sat. And thank you to everyone that hits the road in search of joy and never ending splendor. Just attended the Halt Hunger Jam last night, WOW. The headiest thing to ever occur in Hanover. Blew the 2005 tsunami benefit away. NOTE: All the insane Devolver shows we put on ourselves were outside the borough limits. That review will be up next week. I have Furthur this Friday, April 1st, or the Feast of Fools Day. The road goes on forever!!
Dave Kemp
BA in American Studies
Ph.D. in Rock and roll

No comments:

Post a Comment