Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tales from the Devolver Side: Jan 2002. Dave and Kyle try to buy a van

Hello everyone. Hope those of you that went to AllGood had a wonderful time. I’m kind of spoiled after the RV experience that was Super Ball 9. I have a Furthur show next week at the beautiful Mann Music Center in Philly so I decided what better time to reminisce about the golden age of Devolver. Today I tell you all about the time myself and Kyle tried to buy a van
     It was January of 2002. The Miller’s Caravan minivan had given its all for rock and roll. The DeWald’s conversion van had made a gallant effort but lost the battle of the West Virginia hills and Jake’s lead foot. We needed something to get the gear to and from the shows. We had been doing it hodge podge, using everyone’s vehicles but that was only a short-term solution. I shattered the back window of my Omni taking gear to Kclinger’s that month. I got really hammered and had 2 ladies trying to put  their hands (filled with ice) down my pants. Who were they? I guess that will have to wait for another entry. We also had a string of 2 weeks worth of shows booked stretching from North Carolina down to Atlanta and had to solve this issue pronto.
     It was obvious that we had to buy a van. I figured with the local once a month steady gigs in the area (The Depot in York, Kclinger’s and Lupita’s in Hanover, and the Old Mill in New Oxford) plus other shows, there would be enough positive cash flow to cover the payments. However, because all of the band members still lived at home and had no real credit history to speak of, I was the only option to get a car loan. So putting my sterling credit score on the line, I said I would take out the loan to by the band a van. Yes I was that dedicated to Devolver and that batshit crazy.
     Kyle’s dad Timbo, was a master salesman. He sold heavy industrial machinery for a living and claimed he paid 8000 bucks under MRSP on his last new car. He was going to help us get a good deal. Since I had no problem getting the bank to pre-approve the loan, Kyle and myself checked out used car dealerships in the area. We found a good van at a place in Dillsburg. I remembered Kyle being impressed by 2 things
1) The van had one of those sensors that beeped when you backed it up.
2) Pink’s “Get This Party Started” was on the radio when we did a test-drive.
     But for whatever reason, we didn’t buy that van. We did find exactly what we needed at Ruth Motors on Route 30 in Thomasville.
     I don’t remember the name of the salesman we dealt with, nor do I know if he is representative of the establishment. But the following is what happened. We found a van that was within our price range. We had a mechanic check it out and said it needed a new universal joint. The salesman said he would replace it. So we arranged for Timbo to accompany us when we went up to negotiate a price. However, Timbo bailed at the last minute. He did give us a five-minute lesson on how to get a lower price. This was a pointless exercise. The only bargaining I have ever done was in the Lot so I didn’t feel too confident going in. Kyle had done a little bit of online research for the Kelly Blue Book value. So, with a limited amount of arrows in our quiver, we went into battle against the scourge of capitalism, the used car salesman.
     First the salesman said he replaced the joint. I asked to see the old part and he said they already threw it out. First red flag. When we tried to get a better deal, he got really pissed and said the price was what it was. Kyle said he found different numbers on the Internet. The salesman proclaimed he didn’t care what Kyle found on “his” Internet. Kyle’s response: “Well, it’s not my Internet.” We left without buying a van.
     Andy quit the band within the next 2 weeks. He said he had to pull the trigger because he didn’t want me to have to pay for the van if the band broke up or couldn’t afford it. I knew he was unhappy with the grind of being in a band at that level and not really making any money off of it. From the bottom of my heart I want to thank him for that.                                             

Soon after, my car failed inspection and that meant I had to buy a new car. 2 car payments would have been much more than what my budget could afford. The boys did the southern swing without Andy and shortly thereafter relocated to Atlanta to attend a music school there.I hope you all enjoyed this slice of life and blast from the past. Everyone have a good week and I’ll see some of you at Furthur
  
Dave Kemp
BA American Studies
PhD in Rock and Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment