Sunday, July 29, 2012

20 Years Ago Today Grateful Dead June 20, 1992 RFK Stadium Washington DC


  Hello everyone. I hope you all had a blast yesterday celebrating German Hanover heritage/tribute to obesity that Dutch Days entails. Wow people, put down the fried food and back away. At least most of them were walking around. Boxcar kicked ass on Frederick St. and then even more ass (which as stated above, Hanover has an abundance of) at the Winner’s Circle. But I’m not here to talk about the here and now. I’m going in the way back machine back to the year of 1992. Bill Clinton was telling everyone he didn’t inhale but a whole lot of inhaling happened at RFK Stadium in Washington DC on June 20 for the Grateful Dead.
    By now, I had graduated from high school and already had a year under my belt from Penn State. Nad was graduating from high school and the show, just like in 1991, fell over Senior Week. So we went down to Ocean City for most of the week, busted Nad’s chops for seeing the New Kids on the Block back in ’89 or 90 and then left to go see the good old Grateful Dead.
    This was Watson’s first show. Just talking pregame, he mentioned how he would love to hear Casey Jones. My reply was something along the lines of never gonna happen. They hadn’t played it since 1984. I knew that off the top of my head because of my scholarly study of Deadbase.
     We made it a point to get in for the opener Steve Miller. The first show I ever saw was Steve Miller at Merriweather Post in June 1990. I was really into him at the time and was a really big fan of some of his earlier work from the late 60’s. I listened to the Anthology collection a lot even before I got into the Grateful Dead.  He didn’t disappoint by playing some of his earlier work and I was fired up and ready for the Dead

06-20-92 Robert F. Kennedy Stadium, Washington, D.C. (Sat)
1: Cold Rain, Wang Dang Doodle, FOTD, Mexicali> Maggie's Farm, Row Jimmy, Picasso Moon, Tennessee Jed> Promised
2: Corinna> Crazy Fingers> Playin> Uncle John> Drumz> Casey Jones> Throwing Stones> Saturday Night* E: Baba O'Riley*> TNK*
*with Steve Miller with Bruce Hornsby on accordion - Steve Miller opened - locomotive airhorn during "Drumz," also to begin "Casey Jones"- "Shenandoah" theme during "Space" - last "Casey Jones": 11-02-84 [549] - sound check: "Baba O'Riley"> "TNK," "Casey Jones," "Way To Go"

You can stream it here

     First set was typical of the era. Second set opened with Corinna (still one of my least favorite tunes). The energy picked up a lot from Playin>Uncle John’s. During Drumz and Space, they moved the sound around on the speakers which gave the impression that the band was at the back of the stadium. It was extremely disorienting, and I really wasn’t as disoriented as I would be at later Dead shows. Mickey also came out with train horns during Space. These were beyond LOUD. They had been using them on most stops of the summer tour so they really didn’t foreshadow the return of Casey Jones. I had no idea about them sound checking it. 


   But when they did go into Casey Jones, the place erupted. Evidently, Watson has powers beyond my comprehension. It sounded pretty good. Steve Miller came out for the encore which I was also geeked for. Love the Who and the Beatles so this was exactly what the doctor ordered.
     Everyone have a great Jerry Week, which begins Aug 1st and continues until Aug 9th. Why is this week 8 days? Cause Deadheads will take an extra day of partying.

Dave Kemp
BA American Studies
PhD Rock and Roll

1 comment: