Sunday, March 10, 2013

Blind Ellis 3/9/2013 Winner's Circle, Hanover, PA



     Hello folks. Hope you all are enjoying this beautiful early spring weather we are having. Just a quick one today as I sing the praises of a local band, Blind Ellis.
     Not gonna go into a long bio about the band. I certainly can’t do anymore justice explaining what this band is about than their own website,  http://blindellis.com/. And by the way, their alternate name is outstanding.


     They were playing at the Winner’s Circle in downtown Hanover and we rolled in after they had started playing. It was myself, Adrian and Paul. Things I learned last night

·         Paul has only seen one show in Philly and it was about 120 degrees in the shade.

·          I’ve seen more shows in Philly than any other city; Hanover is not included in calculations.  

·         And the worst show Adrian ever saw was Stevie B. He lucked out though. He had the option to see MC hammer and Vanilla Ice.

     We walked in and they were playing a Moe. song. Can’t remember the title but they jam they threw down was OUTSTANDING. Pretty good when I get floored by the first song.  They played Let’s Dance by David Bowie, which I thought was great as no one covers Bowie songs. Jim Grinnin has the cool Teutonic sound of Bowie’s voice down flat. They did a couple of originals, one of which was Wanderlust and it was pretty good. They finished off the first set with Hey Joe and 46 Days which they nailed. Makes me wish a certain band from VT would get around and announce some Summer Tour dates. 


  
   I talked to the guitarist Matt at set break. He too is from the glorious region known as Northeast PA. Nice to talk to someone from the area on the day of the Scranton St Patty’s Day parade. I used to rage this event back in the day. A friend would rent a school bus and we’d hit all the local Irish bars. They have more local neighborhood bars in Scranton than Tour has wookies. I even went in one bar that was playing modern Irish folk songs. The lyrics were mainly about killing the English soldiers based in Northern Ireland. 


     Second set was just as good. They opened with a killer "Got to Get Better in a little while" by Derek nd the Dominos. Fantastic! A few solid originals and a Sand>Psycho Killer that had to put a smile on your face if you love music.  I left after that because
1) Daylights Savings Time and it was already late
2) I wanted to go running this morning, as I have to get into shape for Tour
3) I just don’t rage like a stimulated fueled wildebeest anymore.
     So please check out Blind Ellis if you get the chance. They’ll be at the White Rose in York this weekend (sorry don’t remember if it Friday or Sat) and Sunday, March 17th at the Holy Hound Tap room in York.

Dave Kemp
BA American Studies
PhD Rock and Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment