Sunday, June 9, 2013

It was 20 Years Ago Today : Grateful Dead June 25 & 26, 1993, RFK Satdium, Washington DC



     Greetings everyone. I hope you all are enjoying the somewhat moderate temps we’ve been having. Me, I’m just slaving over a hot laptop, combing through the folds of my grey matter to pull up all the details of yet another installment of my universally famous blog series, “It Was 20 Years Ago today…..”. And today it’s all about the Grateful Dead at RFK stadium in Washington DC on June 25 and 26, 1993.
     This was our first multi night run with camping for myself and my crew. I had been to a multi-day run in 1992 but that didn’t require camping. We had all been enlightened by now so it seemed much safer to camp a little closer than the 90+ minute ride back to Hanover from DC. We set up camp and headed to the stadium. You can stream the first night here



06-25-93 Robert F. Kennedy Stadium, Washington, D.C. (Fri)
1: Half Step, Rooster, Tom Thumb Blues, Althea, Cassidy, Cumberland, Promised
2: China Cat> I Know You Rider, Saint> Uncle John> Corinna> Drumz> Miracle> Wharf Rat> Sugar Magnolia E: The Weight
with Bruce Hornsby on accordion - Sting opened

     I really like this first set. Tom Thumb is a great Phil song and Cumberland/Promise Land closer is A-OK in my book.  I FINALLY got a China Cat>Rider. Only took me 10 shows.  I am not a huge fan of Corrina and Bruce’s accordion doesn’t really add anything to it. The squeeze box did add something to Wharf Rat however and Sugar Magnolia was rocking as always.
    After the show, we got back to campsite and Watson scored some wood for our fire pit. What we didn’t know was the people next to us had bought that wood for themselves. I try to think of things like that when I find myself bitching about disrespectful kids at shows today. We made it through the night and headed to the show. Here is the stream


06-26-93 Robert F. Kennedy Stadium, Washington, D.C. (Sat)
1: Stranger, B. E. Women, Spoonful, Lazy River Road, Masterpiece, Bird Song, Picasso Moon
2: Iko Iko, Way To Go, Playin> Terrapin> Drumz> Last Time> Days Between> Throwing Stones> Saturday Night E: Liberty
with Bruce Hornsby on accordion - Sting opened

Really good shot of Dead's 90's stadium setup



     First set was typical of the era. The Bird Song was pretty good even by my harsh standards of judging Bird Song. I’ve seen and heard too many slogging versions. Second set was a whole another story. After getting the party started with some N’Awlin’s gumbo, Playin’ took us into the ionosphere. Terrapin was really strong and there was more than a hint of Playin’ in the jam that led to Drumz. Sat Night reminded us of the day of the week and Liberty is something of a weak encore choice but I am nothing if not a picky Deadhead.
     I do have a lot of details for the shows but for the life of me, I can’t remember what happened on which night. Sting was a good opener. He played a nice mix of solo and Police hits with a few choice covers. He did Purple Haze one night and Strawberry Fields Forever the next night. And according to this photographic evidence, Jerry jammed with Sting at some point.



     I remember seeing Robert Coombs (sp) on the stadium floor. He was a guy I graduated with but wasn’t tight with. He stumbled upon our group and asked what I was doing there. Now I waved my freak flag high and wide in high school. This guy was like a J Crew model. So no, the question is what are you doing here? And if I remember right, he was going prematurely bald as well. And this was in our early 20’s, and here I am with a full head of hair in my 40’s. Check and mate.
     Stan Fidler also had a unique encounter at his first 2 shows. A rather good looking but non hippie chick looking woman was wandering through the crowd and bumped into our crew. She walked into Stan and he said sorry or something. She replied,”If you spank me, I won’t do it again”. She lifted up her short skirt and Stan swatted her on ass. Yes that actually happened and I witnessed it. Saw the boys 20 times and I never had a woman ask me to spank her. Way to go Fid.
     So I hope you all enjoyed this stroll down memory lane. Up next, Frank Miller’s Beard at the Circle on Sat June 15th, and then the best of the Hanover music scene on display at Wirt Park on Sat Jun 29th

Dave Kemp
BA American Studies
PhD Rock and Roll

1 comment:

  1. Fidler! Although I wasn't at this show with you guys, it's one of my favorite stories I've heard many times as if I've been there myself. As they say, "there ain't nothing like a grateful dead show."

    ReplyDelete