Sunday, August 11, 2013

Phish Aug. 5th 2013, Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA



Well folks, here it is. My last entry for my incredible West Coast Phish Tour journey. So without further hesitation, please allow me to present Phish in Los Angeles California on Aug 5th, 2013.
     We got up rather early to make the 6, 7, or 8 hour drive from San Fran to LA. It was gonna be 5 of us in Josh and Switzer’s car. Myself, Delorean, and her friend Tober were squeezed into the back of the car. It was a little cramped to say the least. And it was a long drive. As we rolled down Interstate 5, we went through the part of California known as the Central Valley and is home to the breadbasket of the US. With only 1% of the arable land, it produces 8% of the country’s food. And it was just mile after mile of crops, with nothing breaking it up except for the mountains and smog that surrounded us.
     And did I mention there were 3 of us in the back seat? It was cramped. At one point, D was lying across Tober and me. Even with her legs across my lap, it was still better than it was before. Geez, the things we do for Tour.
     Josh did an incredible job of navigating and got us to the W Hotel in record time. And what a hotel it was. On the corner of Hollywood and Vine, right across the street from the Capitol Records Building. See kids, there used to be a record industry, and they had so much money they could design and pay for crazy ass looking structures like this one.

     Switzer got on a name your own price website and got the W Hollywood Hotel for 120 bucks. This place was a 5 star, high end boutique hotel. And it was all first class. 5 stinky heads, stuck in a car for 7 hours, roll in and a valet is there to get the car. The lobby was open and in a slightly Asian motif.  I used the concierge service and he hooked me up with a ride to LAX before we had even checked in. While waiting for our room to get ready, we headed to the bar. While there, a stunning beautiful brunette in a miniskirt who was our waitress came over to give me a beer list. With Buddha as my witness, I will never stink more around a more beautiful woman. Luckily, our room was ready and her nightmare was over.

    The room was super fatty. There was gonna be 7 of us sleeping in this room so I immediately claimed the ledge by the window. Yes, Nate, it looks exactly like a cat bed. I quickly found out the W stands for whatever, whenever. We got extra towels, extra glasses, and a set of knives for cutting up limes sent to our room. 



     The bathroom design was something else altogether. It had a big sliding door that did not have a lock on it. The shower was big enough to accommodate 5 people easily. But alas, my experiment fitting 4 super models and I will have to wait until my next visit. There also was a window looking into the shower. The middle was frosted but the bottom 2+ feet and top were not frosted. So someone sitting at the foot of the bed could see someone sitting on the toilet. Who the hell designed this room? D even said you can really make out a person’s image, even with the frosted class. Ladies, you’re welcome.
     We made our way out to find our “one meal a day since we’re on Tour” substance. It seemed every place we came upon closed at 3 and reopened at 5. We finally found the Kabuki Restaurant, which was a really nice sushi place. I know more about Mongolian hip hop than I do about sushi but with a little help I got through it. And unfiltered sake is rather good.
      We then stopped by Trader Joe’s to get beer and food. I had never been in one and was very impressed with the store. So I walked up to the self-scan checkout and scanned my beer and bag of chips. But I couldn’t find where to swipe my debit card. An employee then walked up and told me it was not a self-scan register. D’oh! In my defense, employees at Joe’s don’t wear uniforms, just name tags. I explained that I was from PA and the cashier was very cool about it. I also mentioned I worked at a grocery store in high school.
     Chilled out at the hotel room and changed into our party clothes. And why were we changing into our party clothes? Because it was Switzer’s 100th show. She looked amazing in her dress




 and I looked quite stylish as well, for someone who looked like Hunter S Thompson’s sobriety coach. We walked to the show because LA traffic sucks, and it was less than 2 miles. Our leg muscles were in fine shape with all the dancing we had done the last few days.
    Chill little scene outside the venue. There were a lot of picnic tables and it seemed to be a more wine and cheese crowd than anything else. But it was a huge culture shock going from the loving embrace of San Fran to the plastic posing of LA.  Security was super tight, even stopping people smoking cigs and it was an outdoor venue. Josh and Switzer stubbed us to their seats and the show got underway.

Encore: Loving Cup
[1] With full band drum solo and Fishman using mallets on bass.
[2] Unfinished.
Teases:
· My Friend, My Friend quote in Harry Hood
Notes: Scent of a Mule featured Fishman playing Mike's bass with mallets and all four band members playing Fishman's drum kit at once. Disease was unfinished. My Friend, My Friend's "Myfe" ending was quoted in Hood's intro.

You can stream it here
     First set was really solid. Without a doubt, the highlight of the show was Chris Kuroda on the lights. With the clamshell bandstand as a back drop, here was an artist with perhaps his greatest surface to work with. The light show was unlike anything else I have ever seen. He was on fire. The weirdest point came during Mule. As Page started his part of the solo, roadies were furiously messing around with Trey’s amp set up. Steve remarked after he knew a lot about Trey’s set up and said it looked like they were switching out one of his amps. While this was going on, Fishman played Mike’s bass with his mallets as Mike fingered chords on the frets. Trey and Page then were hitting cymbals. Pretty cool and definitely unique. While My Guitar Gently Weeps was a nice tip of the hat to the famous Beatles show that happened here in 1964, which I snagged of the Internet a while back. 

     During Lawnboy, this loud woman behind us kept proclaiming that today was (Aug 5th) was the day Jerry died (it was Aug 9th) and that Bob Weir was gonna show up at the show. Well she was so wrong on the Jerry thing and the SF Giants were having Jerry Garcia appreciation night and Bobby was there. Switzer turned around to this woman and said, “When Page is singing you shut the fuck up” . That’s why she is HMLL and that loud annoying woman is not.
     During set break, we made it down to Shawn’s seats.  He was about 30 feet from the stage in these weird boxes that held four people and a table for the food a waitress could bring you. How very LA.

     No celebrity sightings but second set kicked ass. Golden Age through DWD all had nice tight deep jams that the boys wasted no time getting to. The highlight of the show was the Hood. Unlike any version before, they went way out there, at least 2 separate jams that we all called the best Hood ever. Shawn even remarked he doubted if they would return to Hood. They did and it was such a stupendous release that only something like that should be played on the tour closer.
      Before the encore, Page thanked all the people who followed them around. When he said that, he was looking right at us. Loving Cup sent us on our way into the LA night. With a few stops, we made our way back to the hotel and crashed. I had a 5 hour plane ride ahead of me.
     Somehow, I roused myself out of bed and was packing up my shit. Josh remarked he had a hold on his credit card for 4 three day passes to the Atlantic City shows. We had joked earlier how we weren’t even done having Phish break our bank accounts for summer tour and we had to order tickets for fall tour. I didn’t have an email (thanks to the enormous clusterfuck of Comcast not allowing emails from musictoday.) But as I was waiting in the lobby for the shuttle, I checked my credit card as well and it had a hold on it. I can’t describe that feeling of knowing I had just finished a tour and I already had my tickets for the next great adventure.
     So that’s it folks. 10 days out west, 6 shows in 7 days and a lifetime of memories. Thank you for reading and supporting kempepedia. I don’t think I’d be writing any of this without you guys. And my next 2 Phish shows? One is in Reading, PA, where my mom was born, raised, and met my dad. The other? Just my return to Halloween since 1994. And if the Montana Dave Kemp shows up, Phish is gonna cover the Grateful Dead, because that’s how we roll.

Dave Kemp
BA American Studies
PhD Rock and Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment