Saturday, March 7, 2015

It Was 20 Years Ago Today: Blues Traveler, 3/16/1995, Live at the Theatre of the Living Arts, Philadelphia, PA.

     Hello everyone. Hope you are doing well as winter does its best to bitch slap us one more time. I am so ready for spring. But now my mind drifts back to another spring, the spring of 1995. I was finishing up my last semester at Penn State with no idea what I was going to do after graduation except seeing more shows. I already had my tickets for the Dead's Spring Tour. But then one day I got a newsletter from good old Blues Traveler announcing a free show in Philly on March 16th. So without me even lifting a finger, my Spring Tour got extended by one day. So without further ado, allow myself to present the next entry in my epic series It Was 20 Years Ago Today: Blues Traveler, Live at the Theatre of the Living Arts in Philadelphia, PA, March 16th, 1995.




      The boys had already announced their Spring Tour and I was really geeked to hit another St. Patty's show, this time in Philly no less. And it was much closer to State College than Washington DC. At the time, I had tickets for the 17th and the 19th. Then I got the Blues Traveler snail mail news letter. They were doing a free show for fan club members at some place in Philly called the Theatre of the Living Arts, or the TLA. And the free show was the 16th, the day before the boys were doing their 3 day run. How convenient and cosmic!!!
      I really don't remember too much about the show. The place was really, really tiny. Only other show I've been to there was Pork Tornado in '05 or '06. It was a really good time and just the primer for the boys the next few nights. Evidently, no one taped the show as it is not up on archive but there are plenty of other BT shows for 1995 for your streaming pleasure.



      I'm gonna guess we camped as I camped for the Dead shows. But that camping experience is for another blog post. Only 4 more GD shows to write about in this series. The Spring Tour will be up in a few weeks. 

Dave Kemp
BA American Studies
PhD Rock and Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment