Thursday, June 4, 2015

It Was 20 Years Ago Today: Phish, live at the NIssan Pavilion, Bristow, VA June 17th, 1995

      Hello folks. Hope you are doing OK, living the high life until the Fare Thee Well shows and Phish's Summer Tour. I'm moving across town and vacating the apartment I've called home for 15 and a half years so I have 4 shows to squeeze in between now and the end of the month. So let's get this show on the road with another trip down memory lane, It Was 20 years Ago Today, Phish, Live at Nissan Pavilion in Bristow, VA on June 17, 1995.



       I had lawn tickets for this show but Nad was in love and had to skip it, so by default I got his orchestra tickets and they were great seats. My friend LST came with me. This was a brand new venue and was really puzzled why Phish was playing here instead of Merriweather. So glad they eventually rectified that oversight.


Saturday, 06/17/1995
Nissan Pavilion at Stone Ridge, Bristow, VA

Soundcheck: Johnny B. Goode
Set 1: Divided Sky, Suzy Greenberg, Taste, Fee[1] -> Uncle Pen, Julius, Lawn Boy, The Curtain -> Stash
Set 2: Wilson > Maze, Mound > Tweezer -> Johnny B. Goode[2] -> Tweezer -> McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Acoustic Army, Sweet Adeline, Harry Hood, Sample in a Jar
Encore: Three Little Birds[3]
[1] Trey sang verses through megaphone.
[2] Phish debut.
[3] Phish debut; LeRoi Moore and Dave Matthews.
Teases:
· The Curtain tease in Stash
· Montana tease in Tweezer
Notes: Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. Johnny B. Goode and Three Little Birds made their Phish debuts at this show, the latter with a guest appearance by LeRoi Moore and Dave Matthews. Tweezer included a tease of A Live One’s Montana. Stash segued out of Curtain and included Curtain teases.
You can stream it here


       First set was solid with the highlight being Stash. The second set was all about the Tweezer. The debut of Johnny B Goode was really surprising and it comes roaring out of space. The rarity McGrupp made an appearance. I got spoiled by how often I saw it my first 2 years of seeing Phish. The encore was really cool and added bonus, LST LOVES Dave Mathews, so that really flipped her lid.
       We made our way out to the Lot and a nitrous vendor had set up shop right next to my car. My car escaped undamaged and I'm pretty sure we got a freebie for allowing the chaos to ensue next door. Up next, the crazy double shot of seeing Phish in Philly on a Saturday and then the Dead in Washington DC on a Sunday back in 1995.


Dave Kemp
BA American Studies
PhD Rock and Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment