Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Plentiful Pickin' : Pappy and the Pards, live at Nectar's, Burlington, VT Feb 1st, 2018

    

     Hello everyone. I hope some of you are celebrating the Eagles long deserved Super Bowl victory and others feeling the unbearable sting of the loss. But I’m not here to talk sports, I am here to talk music, specifically the Nectar’s residency by noted banjo picker Pappy Biondo. Kempepedia is proud to present the first of a 4 part series Plentiful Pickin’:  The February Nectar’s Residency of Pappy and the Pards 2018.
      The residency was announced back in December. I was geeked beyond belief. 4 shows on a night that works with my 2 job work schedule.  I figured Cabinet wasn’t touring in February. I was off by a little bit because they announced their indefinite hiatus a day or two after the residency announcement. Wow. I will miss Cabinet but they are a much different band now than the one I discovered back in 2011. It’s great they evolved and I loved what they were currently doing. But time marches on and was really intrigued about the residency.
     A whole bunch of musicians. No one was doing any more than 2 shows. A lot of JJ Cale. Cosmic country and cosmic bluegrass. Those both sound like something I have been searching for but didn’t know it. Some of the players I had heard of and some I hadn’t. Biggest name to me is Gordon Stone. Someone remarked he really doesn’t play out too often so that should be a big deal. Again, all a 20 minute walk from my crib. Kclinger’s was further from my place on E. Hanover St. February finally got here and after seeing Pappy play all night with Grass is Dead only 2 nights before,  I was stoked!

Pappy and the Pards, Feb. 1st, 2018, Nectar’s, Burlington, VT
Set 1
I’ll Go Stepping Too, Susquehanna Breakdown, Back to the Basics, I Told Them All About You, Catfish  John, Little Maggie, Gold Rush, Machine Gun Kelly>Clinch Mountain Backstep, Call Me The Breeze

Set 2
Yakety Yak, Sunday 60 Breakdown, Poor Man’s Blues, Pine Billy, Old Home Place, Baby Girl, Nashville Blues

The Pards tonight were
Pappy Biondo - Banjo and Vocals, Doug Perkins – Guitar, Matt Flinner - Mandolin, Pat Melvin – Bass, Caleb Elder – Fiddle, Russ Lawton - Drums

You can stream it here


     A Cabinet song to open the residency and to touch on how Cabinet sounded way back when?!?!?!? Fantastic opening statement. This evening was going to be all about that high and lonesome sound. Back to the Basics featured some nice harmonies that were as comfortable as a worn wood floor. Catfish John was played at a nice steady pace. Gold Rush had a lot of fiddle as promised and several teases of Dixie.  I have seen Pappy perform Call Me the Breeze with 3 different bands in the last 6 months. This arrangement is my favorite. Skipping along with a lot of fiddle. On to the second set!


     No one in their right mind would call Yakety Yak, a tune from the rock and roll era of the 1950’s by The Coasters a bluegrass tune but it sure does work with this group. My favorite part is the drum solo with brushes by Russ. His set up was one long drum, a bass drum, and a cymbal. He also played standing up.
      Poor Man’s Blues was probably my favorite tune of the night. Pine Billy is just plain fun with the crowd participation. A rather dark and melancholy version (especially with the lights) of My Old Home Place was really powerful and a nice example of how the arrangement of a song can totally change the meaning of the tune.  After Baby Girl Pappy says they have time for a few more songs. A few became one as they did a 17 minute version of Nashville Blues. The song is just sick. Love the jam that ends at the 13 min mark. Upon further research, it is Nashville Blues>Shockin'> Dear Ol' Dixie
     When I got to the show, it was just flurrying. That turned into a surprisingly strong storm that dumped about 3 inches by the time it was over. Lots of people were caught by surprise, walking around downtown in heels and nice dress shoes. I wore sneakers because I was planning on dancing hard. But as I blazed a trail for home in the blowing snow, I was struck by the beauty of it. And my incredible fortune to end up in Burlington, a place where music is the thing. Can’t wait until this Thursday for an evening of cosmic country and a JJ Cale set.

Dave Kemp
BA American Studies

PhD Rock and Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment