Sunday, June 29, 2014

The McLovins, The Circle, Hanover, PA June 28th, 2014

     Greetings everyone, a real quickie this morning, at the request of one Mr Paul Kraft.
Last night I had my mind blown. The McLovins were playing at the at the Circle. Who are the McLovins? They are a jamband out of Connecticut and they burned the Circle down. A four piece augmented with a horn section for this tour, they were able to get into a rhythmic groove better than most bands I have heard. I went in cold, without hearing any of their music but had read a few articles about them.
      They played a really good mix of covers and originals. The second song they played was “Get Up Jake” by the Band and they nailed it. Their originals were very strong,lyrically and musically. The horn section didn't play on every song but when they did, they blended in perfectly. Big ups to whoever figured out the arrangements. Check out some of there stuff here


And the all holy sites of sites, the Archive


     The highlight of the night was 2001 with the horn section. After the first peak, the guitarist motioned to the drummer, and he started playing a different beat. I thought they were going into another song but instead they took the long way to get back to 2001. And again, I can't stress how fucking outstanding the horns were on this. I had just said to a friend 3 hours before this show that I wasn't really searching out any new music. Well I found some to dig deep into now.
     And I'm sure some of you are asking how and why were the McLovins, who have played really big stages like the Gathering of the Vibes, at the newly renamed The Circle in Hanover? Because the the Circle is becoming the real deal. From March thru the first week in April, I saw a better variety of kick ass music than I have ever in my life, even going back to my daze at Penn State. You may be reading a lot about new brewpubs opening up in Hanover, but don't forget who was serving heady micro brews, bringing eclectic music, and leading the revitalization of downtown Hanover first.


“Your scene is what you make it” uttered by myself back in 2000

Dave Kemp
BA American Studies
PhD Rock and Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment