Sunday, July 6, 2014

Widespread Panic, Jun 14th. 2014, Mann Music Center, Philadelphia, PA

      Hello everyone. I hope you are as pumped as I am now that Phish's Summer Tour is under way. But I am not here to write about the immediate future, it's more about the immediate past. I am of course talking about the pride of Athens, GA, one Widespread Panic. And I got to see the boys 3 weeks ago on June 14th, at the Mann Music Center in Philadelphia, PA
      I was pumped when this show was announced. One, I haven't seen the boys since way back in 2010, which was also my first blog post. You can read it here.

They rarely make it above the Mason Dixon Line and when they do, it usually is a mid week show. Second, this show begins my mini tour of the Mann this summer with 2 Phish shows during the first week of July. And third, the ass kicking band Galactic was opening up for them.
      Myself and Paul headed out and got to a rather empty lot. I ended up meeting some homies from WAY BACK in the day. I hadn't seen Kevin since before Devolver. Another friend, Hemi, recognized me even though he hasn't seen me since before my beard. He said we used to trade tapes. I had no recollection of him. D'oh. Such is the price one must pay on the crusade to find eternal joy and never ending splendor.


06/14/14 The Mann Center For Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA
0: Pigeons, Time Zones, Can't Get High, Machine > Barstools and Dreamers, Clinic Cynic, Space Wrangler > Walkin' (For Your Love), Tortured Artist > Blackout Blues > Drinking Muddy Water, Jesus Just Left Chicago > Drums* > Fixin' To Die**, Chilly Water**, Thought Sausage > Familiar Reality***, Use Me****
E: Old Joe, Imitation Leather Shoes
* with Stanton Moore on percussion
** with Jeff Raines on guitar
*** with Ben Ellman on saxophone, Corey Henry on trombone
**** with Ben Ellman on saxophone, Corey Henry on trombone, Maggie Koerner on vocals, Rich Vogell on keyboards
['Satisfied' rap during 'Barstools and Dreamers'; Galactic opened]



You can stream it here

      We had actual seats in the pavilion. We got in early for Galactic and they did not disappoint. They had Maggie Koerner on vocals and she was great. Their drummer is Stanton Moore and I think he is one of the best in the business. Galactic first blew my mind back at the first Bonnaroo in 2003. The majority of their tunes are instrumentals. They are a healthy dose of New Orleans funk that goes down oh so sweet. Highlight of the set was “Oh Nah Nay” and a cover of the Jackson 5's “ I Want You Back”.
      We evidently weren't in our actual seats. It was an honest mistake given how bass ackwards the numbering of sections is at the venue. Should be a crazy time when Phish plays here.
This Panic set was very light on newer tunes ( written after 2005) so I was very pleased. The new tunes just don't measure up to the classics, unlike Phish who are still coming up with strong tunes. It's a shame Phish has said they aren't going to be playing as many covers, because it would be really cool to see 2 bands cover the same song (Jesus Left Chicago) at the same venue 3 weeks apart. I saw Phish and Furthur both cover The Mighty Quinn in the Summer of 2011 but it was at different venues.
      Highlights for myself were Blackout Blues, Fixin' To Die, Thought Sausage, and Use Me. Paul said Use Me is one of his favorite covers and Maggie crushed her vocal part.
We got out of the Lot in no time and got back to good ole Hanover by 2 AM. Nice to get the Summer of 2014 underway and am really looking forward to a season full of friends, jams and mind expanding adventures.

Dave Kemp
BA American Studies
PhD Rock and Roll
  

No comments:

Post a Comment