Sunday, July 31, 2016

All the Years Combine: I Have Seen Some Really Serious Phish

     I just received the BOOK, and by that I mean The Phish Companion, vol. 3 curated by the fine folks that run phish.net. Its something like 800 pages of setlists, reviews, etc. Already found some shows to listen to that flew under my radar. But the feature I like best is they have compiled a list of the top 100 shows Phish has played. It goes up to Mexico. But it's not ranked 1 through 100, it just notes it as a Top 100 Show. So please indulge in a little humble bragging, as that is truly what the Internet is for. So Kempepedia is proud to present All the Years Combine; I Have Seen Some Really Serious Phish


Chronologically speaking

10/31/94 Glenn Falls, NY
What needs to be said? If we've ever discussed Phish you know this show changed my life. The Grateful Dead did nothing for me musically for 2 weeks.

Favorite moment: When they played the Ed Sullivan intro, I knew we were getting the Beatles.



12/1/95 Hershey, PA
An incredible trip in the Land of Chocolate with about 100 people I knew

Favorite moment: When Trey did the narration about King of Prussia



8/16/96 Clifford Ball. Plattsburgh, NY
The first Phish fest, truly an almost religious experience

Favorite moment: Walking across the landing strip as they tore into Split Open and Melt



8/17/96 Clifford Ball. Plattsburgh, NY
I can't wait to write about these shows

Favorite moment: My Old Home Place opener. Truly felt like home



8/16/97 The Great Went, Limestone, ME
At the end of the country, almost in the Great White North

Favorite moment: The Jam before Slave with the Odd Couple theme



8/17/97 The Great Went, Limestone, ME
1997 was just awesome all around

Favorite moment: I remember Trey grabbing a glow stick in the first 'war' and using it as a slide. But that might not have happened.



11/22/97, Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA
My first show at the sacred site

Favorite moment: The Mike's opener or the whole second set. Too close to call



11/28/97 The Centrum, Worcester, MA
My birthday show from the tour that Phish Destroys America

Favorite moment: The Ghost



11/29/97 The Centrum, Worcester, MA
The Runaway Jim. Seriously thought it was gonna be entire set. It took up the entire side of a 90 minute cassette tape.

Favorite moment: Besides the Jim? The triple encore : Buffalo Bill, Moby Dick>Fire



11/27/98 The Centrrum, Worcester, MA
Same place a year later and ANOTHER mind melter

Favorite moment: That Second Set, all hose



12/11/99 The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA
Opened with Hood>Mike's>Simple>H2>Groove. I could have went home after that

Favorite moment: 2001



7/4/00 E Centre, Camden NJ
The Fourth of July in Philly, the way it should be

Favorite moment: The Gotta Jibbo. I think they are still playing it



8/2/03 IT, Limestone, ME
We hit traffic at 6 am, turned the car off at 12 am, 18 hours later

Favorite moment: Discern through Bowie. I was separated from my friends and in another universe




6/19/04 SPAC, Saratoga Springs, NY
SOOOO many jams

Favorite moment: The whole second set. I mean come on. All hose


6/20/04 SPAC, Saratoga Springs, NY
Many people have said these two shows are the peak shows of 2.0 Who am I to argue?

Favorite moment: The second set, 4 songs



8/31/12 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
The Fuck Your Face show, the show where 3.0 Phish turned the corner

Favorite moment: When Switzer came up to me during Undermined and said they were spelling out Fuck Your Face. We all love Dick's!


10/31/14 MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, NV
The peak of my own personal favorite run because of my crew, my girl and the cities SF>Vegas. A Dave Kemp sighting pre show inside the arena. Plus, I published an article in STTF

Favorite moment: The second set. The songs are fresh and funky. I was ready for something like this, unlike in 2013.


8/22/15 Magnaball, Watkins Glen, NY
From Clifford Ball to Magnaball, I've only missed missed 3 fests.

Favorite moment: Tweezer>Prince Caspian. The Tweezer blew my mind and the Caspian rebuilt it only to destroy it again



Feel very blessed to have seen epic shows in every era. Especially the shows that weren'tholiday or festival shows. That's why people do whole tours. Never know what you're gonna get. Shout out to all those that went with me to these shows.

Dave Kemp
BA American Studies

PhD Rock and Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment