Sunday, August 7, 2016

It Was 20 Years Ago Today: Phish, Live at Hersheypark Stadium, Hershey, PA Aug. 14th, 1996

    Hello everyone. I hope you are having a wonderful summer. Other than the heat wave, its been a good one for me. Saw two Phish shows, with Dick's to close out the summer. I also participated in a Bernie Rally at the DNC in Philly a few weeks ago. The only thing I wanted to do but couldn't was see Sir Paul McCartney at Hershey Park Stadium. Which got me thinking about the first show I ever saw at Hershey Park Stadium 20 years ago. So allow me to present It Was 20 Years Ago Today, Phish, Live at Hersheypark Stadium, in Hershey, PA on August 14th, 1996.
     This was another show where a lot of my friends made it too. I had to work so I went up by myself. While stuck in traffic, I was directly next to Craig Livelsburger aka Good Buck. We had a good laugh and I finally arrived in the Lot. I was really late, like close to the actual start time late. I parked my car and high tailed it to the stadium without really taking notice of exactly where I parked. This would be an issue later.



Wednesday, 08/14/1996
Hersheypark Stadium, Hershey, PA

Soundcheck: Funky Bitch, Tush
Encore: Julius
[1] Trey sang verses through megaphone.
[2] No whistling.
Notes: Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. Reba did not have the whistling ending. Julius was dedicated to Brad Sands’s brother Matty.

You can stream it here


     I was right behind the soundboard with plenty of space to dance. I had just found my spot when the show started. The jam after Wilson is AMAZING. And right off the bat? Wow. The Stash, Reba, and Disease were the other first set highlights for me. Some people feel the Reba is one of the all time best versions. Why else would there be video of it on Youtube? (Actually, most of the show is up)






     Highlight of the second set is the Tweezer. About 10 minutes in, things get serious. And always great to get a Fish song. Made my way out of the stadium and walked in the direction of my car. And walked and walked. I soon realized I had no idea how far away I parked in the lots. I can't remember how long but I know it was more than a half an hour until I found my vehicle. D'oh!
Coming up next, the amazing, awe inspiring event that was the CLIFFORD BALL. Brace yourself!

Dave Kemp
BA American Studies
PhD Rock and Roll


No comments:

Post a Comment