Monday, July 28, 2014

Phish, July 26th and 27th, 2014, Merriweather Post Pavillion, Columbia, MD

      Wowowowowow. That's all I can say about the 2 night run at Merriweather this year. I'm kind of pressed for time as I have to work 2 12 hour shifts Tues and Wed and then I fly out for the Southern Swing of the Tour. So, here are some random thoughts and coherent sentences all about our favorite band, the Phish from Vermont.
      Found a prime spot in the new and improved super chill Lot at Merriweather. Honestly, you really had to be going out of your way to antagonize the police this past weekend. And the weather was perfect. After some BS with the parking staff, we got our 3 Quick Shades up and were ready to party.
      Continuing with our theme of local food in the Lot, Nate grilled up crab cakes the first night (if you remember, we had cheese steaks at the Mann). Lots and lots of people stopped by and it was too much fun.




You can stream it here


Phish: Sat, Jul 26, 2014
Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD
Soundcheck: If I Could, I Been Around
Set 1: Sample in a Jar, The Moma Dance, Wombat, Backwards Down the Number Line, Roggae, The Wedge, Wolfman's Brother, Nellie Kane, Lawn Boy, The Line, Stash, Suzy Greenberg
Set 2: Carini -> Ghost > Steam -> The Mango Song > Sing Monica > Light -> Also Sprach Zarathustra > Harry Hood
Encore: Julius




      I thought the first set was really good. I love Wombat and the Wolfman's Brah was jammed out. Nellie Kane was a rare treat and the Suzy was exquisite according to my friend Paul. Carini and Ghost both had fully formed jams with no ripcords in sight. NOTE: This is my opinion, a few others disagreed. The transition into Ghost was really good as was Steam into the Mango Song. Light was its usual awesomeness and Page lead us into 2001. The Hood did its spacy 2014 thing. And that was night one.
      Met up with my crew and we had an even better spot the second day. Meet and saw even more friends, and met a cool dude named Issac who had an extra, and ended up hanging with us the rest of the evening. Just some random dude lol




You can stream it here


Phish: Sun, Jul 27, 2014
Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD
Soundcheck: Sand Jam, Waiting All Night
Set 1: Fee, The Curtain With, 46 Days, 555, My Sweet One, Sand, Bouncing Around the Room, Saw It Again > Fuego, You Enjoy Myself[1]
Set 2: Wilson > Tweezer -> Back on the Train -> Tweezer > Back on the Train -> Tweezer > Waiting All Night > Free -> Tweezer -> Simple -> Tweezer -> Free -> Catapult -> Slave to the Traffic Light > Down with Disease[2] -> NICU -> Hold Your Head Up > Jennifer Dances > Hold Your Head Up, I Been Around
Encore: Boogie On Reggae Woman > Tweezer Reprise
[1] With Trey waving his megaphone and using its siren.
[2] Unfinished.
Notes: This show was webcast via LivePhish. YEM included Flash Light teases and featured Trey waving his megaphone and using its siren. The first Tweezer contained Back on the Train teasing from Fish. The third Tweezer included Page teasing Manteca. Simple included a Magilla tease from Page. Catapult was played for the first time since August 14, 2009 (206 shows). DWD was unfinished. NICU contained Under Pressure teases. Tweezer was teased after the first HYHU and in I Been Around. Jennifer Dances was performed for the first time since December 17, 1999 (352 shows) and was quoted at the end of the second HYHU. I Been Around was last played October 16, 2010 (149 shows).



      Geez, where do I even start? How about the best first set I ever saw? I'd really have to rack my brain to find a better one. This had EVERYTHING. I thought a Fee opener was weird. I had just listened to the version from 7/8/99 that I attended and it was 23 minutes long, lots of Type 2 jamming. But then Trey fucked up the lyrics and had to abort it. So I've seen the longest and shortest Fee's.
     Then A Curtain, With. A song so Phishy you don't know which version it is until the end of the song. We got some bluegrass and 555 and then ….Sand. First set Sand? Not unprecedented, especially in this era but it went some great places. Bouncin' to catch our breaths and then I Saw It Again. Another rarity, and a big reminder of the version in 2010 they did that destroyed MMP. This was not that version but still great. Fuego kept things rolling and then. …....YEM, to end the first set???WOWOWOWOWOW!


Not my creation




      We were all ready to leave because that would have been a decent second set. Would the band wilt under the pressure to top the first set? Does Trey still have the intestinal fortitude to pull that off? HELL YES!!!!

Set 2: Wilson > Tweezer -> Back on the Train -> Tweezer > Back on the Train -> Tweezer > Waiting All Night > Free -> Tweezer -> Simple -> Tweezer -> Free -> Catapult -> Slave to the Traffic Light > Down with Disease[2] -> NICU -> Hold Your Head Up > Jennifer Dances > Hold Your Head Up, I Been Around


      Really reminded me off the madness of the Bomb Factory '94 show. I know some are going to cry blasphemy but tough titties. When they immediately went into BOTT, I thought WTF? No jam at all? Oh Dave, don't worry, Phish has your back. By the third time back into Tweezer, it was all hose and they could do no wrong. Waiting All Night to catch our breath and then FREE, and into Simple, and Free Reprise, and then Catapault. WOWOWOWOWOWOW!! And then DWD, because you haven't had enough. And then Henrietta, and the long awaited bustout of Jennifer Dances
     Here is a little taste http://www.phishtracks.com/shows/1999-12-17/jennifer-dances
      And they had a lot of fun with it. Never saw Been Around before, complete with marching around the stage. And Boogie On >Reprise for the encore. It had everything except an hour long song, but who needed that? This was old school, nerd, Phish. That JD stuff was all an inside joke for the fans. I'm sure PT blew up.
      Last night is why I try to see as many shows as I can. You never know how long the good times will last so enjoy each and everyone of them to its fullest, because when something is gone, it is gone, and nothing is gonna bring it back. My next post? From the Dirty South, as I hit the final 3 shows on this Tour on the Southern Swing



Dave Kemp
BA American Studies
PhD Rock and Roll
  

No comments:

Post a Comment