Sunday, July 13, 2014

Phish, July 8th and 9th, 2014, at the Mann Music Center, Philadelphia, PA

      Hey now everyone. Hope you are enjoying summer. As I write this on July 12th, my mind wanders back 24 years for my first real show, the Grateful Dead at RFK stadium. If you're into something long enough, hopefully things come back around. And things have come back around BIG TIME as I was able to see Phish at a venue where I saw them 20 years ago, the Mann Music Center in downtown Philly. So without further ado, here are my adventures for the Phish from Vermont on July 8th and 9th, 2014.
You can read about my first trip there right here

      I went my Camp Gonzo crew Christie and Nate (whose wedding ceremony I performed) and Christine (the OG HMLL) and her hubby Todd (who taped the last Devolver show). Nate found a sweet apartment on Airbnb.com and I may never stay in a hotel again. It was cheaper than a suite with so much more room. Private secure parking although the alley in and out of the garage looked like it was an alley in Naples ItalyIt was located 10 minutes from the venue and a straight shot down one road.
      We got to the Lot early and set up camp. My friends Matt and Alicia ended up randomly parking right next to us. I had the HMLL shirt flying that I always bring to shows.

     Christie then gave me a flag and said hang this up, and it was the most EPIC, STUPENDOUS, GLORIOUS creation in the history of sewing.



     She got tee shirts and one do rag from all the HMLL's and one husband and made this amazing quilt. I'm still blown away by it. A true Lot worthy piece of art. Christie's like the Heady Betsy Ross.
Had several friends stop by and catch up as we ate cheese steaks in a Philly Lot, the way Ben Franklin intended it.

I also had my buddy Adrian up dating me on the semifinal match between Brazil and Germany. That match result 7-1, Germany, is really a little more mindblowing than any jam I have ever heard.




After a rather long wait to get into the venue, we found our spots on the lawn. Then, over the PA system, comes the warning a severe thunderstorm is headed our way and everyone on the lawn needs to return to there cars until the storm passes. I never had this happen before but it isn't unprecedented, Deer Creek '09 immediately springs to mind. So we returned to the Lot for about 45 minutes. We got back inside, found our spot, and the show got on the road right around 9:15.



Tuesday, 07/08/2014 The Mann Center for the Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA

Soundcheck: Billy Breathes, Sugar Shack, Let Me Lie
Set 1: Axilla, Gumbo > Taste, 555, Tube, Halfway to the Moon, Camel Walk, Sparkle, Halley's Comet > It's Ice, Ocelot, Walls of the Cave
Set 2: 46 Days > Fuego > The Line, Backwards Down the Number Line > Tweezer -> Ghost > Also Sprach Zarathustra > Harry Hood > Tweezer Reprise
Encore: Possum
You can stream it here

      So happy to get a full show despite the weather delay. First set was solid high energy. The Tube has a rather extended jam before “The Jam”. The new songs are developing very well, much better than my first impression on Halloween. The Camel Walk and Halley's were very strong. Walls is always a great set closer.
      Second set highlight was Fuego, which had 2 separate distinct jams, and was all about Page. Trey is definitely deferring to Page alot more as far as leading the jams. The Line was a nice way to catch our breath and I love Backwards, so nice Line>Line combo.
      Tweezer was compact but had some really great moments. It seemed Trey was playing Ghost about 5 minutes before everyone else. By this time, my hips and back were killing me from standing on the lawn. I made my way to the flat part of the lawn at the top and they go into 2001. Finally, the “No Covers” cherry was popped. Everybody was dancing up a storm. The Hood was great as was the non encore Reprise.
After a wonderful nights sleep thanks to the giant ceiling fan, we made it to the Lot for day two. Almost same spot, caught up with old friends and held my breath as Argentina held on to make it to the World Cup final. I had a two team parley for Germany and Argentina. 


Wednesday, 07/09/2014 The Mann Center for the Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA

Set 1: Glide, Sing Monica, Birds of a Feather, Wolfman's Brother, Sugar Shack, Alaska, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan, Horn, Devotion To a Dream, Silent in the Morning, Run Like an Antelope
Set 2: Chalk Dust Torture[1] > Wingsuit, Winterqueen, Twist > Crosseyed and Painless > Waste > Mike's Song > Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley
Encore: Julius > Weekapaug Groove
[1] Unfinished.
You can stream it here

      A rather long first set but really strong. I always love me some McGrupp because they name check myself. Again, the new songs are really taking shape and coming on strong. A second set Chalk Dust opener?? You know its gonna get epic. Wingsuit and Winterqueen both worked despite being rather slow.
      But when they did Crosseyed, everyone blew up. Christie had been calling this, so she really flipped her wig. A Waste to catch our breath and then Mike's. Into Sneakin'?? Holy shit. And we even got a small vocal jam. Stupendous. The boys have split Mike's and Weekapaugh with Weekapaugh in the encore spot, and I've seen them both.
      I really like how this summer is gonna play out. I have 2 weeks in which to savor these two shows, then its the Merriweather shows, 2 days of work, and then I fly out for the Southern Swing with my Wombat Crew. See you on the road.

Dave Kemp
BA American Studies
PhD Rock and Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment